Simple Sunday Stew

Happy Sunday friends! Here in the PNW we ended up with a foot of snow over a two day period! That's unheard of for our area! Needless to say we've all been out enjoying it while it lasts! When we get snow it usually doesn't stick around for too long! Today I wanted to share this simple stew recipe that you can put together quickly, and let simmer while you are out playing! It's an old recipe that my mom would make that I've added to and tweaked a little bit. Still simple, still a delicious hearty meal after a day of snow!
           First I brown the cubed chuck steak.
      Then I add in the sliced onion, spices and broth.
    I mix well, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
               Peeled, sliced and quartered potatoes.
  I then add all my veggies and simmer until tender.
            I add flour mixture and cook 3 minutes.

We served this with homemade rolls my son made. He recently got into cooking and has been wanting to be in the kitchen. We got him a couple cookbooks for Christmas and these rolls were one of the recipes in his baking book. They were so light, fluffy and perfectly baked! He did an excellent job! 

I hope if you make this recipe your family enjoys it as much as ours does! 

Simple Sunday Stew 

2 lb chuck steak cut into one and a half inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp coconut aminos* or worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1 or 2 bay leaves 
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar 
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper 
Pinch of cloves

4 carrots, peeled and quartered
4 potatoes, peeled, sliced in half and quartered
2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces

Brown meat in two tablespoons olive oil, turning often. Add beef broth and next nine ingredients. Cover and simmer for one and a half hours, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking. Remove bay leaves. Add vegetables. Cover and cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Slowly blend a third cup cold water into three tablespoons of flour. Slowly blend flour mixture into hot stew through a mesh strainer. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir 3 minutes longer to cook out flour taste. Serve immediately.
Optional: serve with rolls. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

*While on my elimination I will use coconut aminos. This would normally be made with Worcestershire sauce. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring pasta salad

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Protein Shake

Albers Cornbread