Chuck Eye Chili

Are you excited for fall weather? I know I am excited, mostly for all the yummy fall meals in our future! I just love being able to get a meal going and have it make the house smell yummy all day! I have been craving chili for awhile and tonight I finally got around to making it. Chili is definitely one of those meals that I feel everyone has a favorite way of making. We personally don't ever use a recipe and usually use whatever ingredients we have on hand to make it! So it is always like a new recipe every time!

Tonight we had the ingredients for chuck eye chili. Mr. Mini definitely prefers a heartier chili with big chunks of meat, over a ground beef chili. The recipe is super simple whether you plan to throw it all in the crock pot in the morning, or make it a little later in the day on the stove top. We like both ways! Today I got a late start so I decided to use the stovetop. 

First I prepped all my ingredients. I feel this helps speed along the process in getting every thing to the pot. I chopped up one green pepper and one medium onion. I also diced 2 large cloves of garlic. I seasoned my chuck eye with some salt and pepper. I heated some oil in the dutch oven over medium high heat. I brown the meat on all sides, I then add the green pepper, onion and garlic.


 I stir that around for about three to five minutes or until they start to soften. I then add my can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili beans and a cup of water. I stir that together and add my seasonings. We just use chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together and let simmer for three to four hours.


We usually serve with a side of corn bread. And because it's October 29 I decided to use our Nordic Ware skull pan for cornbread tonight. 

They came out perfect and I think it is a fun addition to our meal! Do you have a special chili recipe? Do you wing it? Look for new recipes online? Let me know in the comments! I hope if you decide to make our chuck eye chili you let me know what you think and use #myminisandme on social media so I can see how your recipe turned out! Happy Fall Ya'll!   


Chuck Eye Chili Recipe

  • 1 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound chuck eye cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • 1 14.5 ounce can chili beans, do NOT drain
  • 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, do NOT drain 
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 T chili powder (more or less to your preference)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Salt and Pepper to taste 

Instructions 

  1. Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium high heat. 
  2. Add chuck eye and cook until brown on all sides.
  3. Add green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
  4. Add chili beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and water. Stir.
  5. Add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir. 
  6. Reduce heat to low, cover, simmer 4-5 hours.
  7. Top with sour cream, cheese and diced onion and cornbread on the side if desired. 


*Alternatively if you wanted to cook in the crockpot, you would follow steps 1-3 then add all ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring pasta salad

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Protein Shake

Albers Cornbread